The Nordic Bridge – Liverpool
The Nordic Bridge, is the northernmost of the three bridges on the coast of Blackpool, England. Built in 1860, it is also the oldest and longest of the three. Although initially designed as a promenade, the competition forced the owners to expand to include various attractions, theaters and bars. Unlike other Blackpool pillars, which attracted the attention of the working class through open-air performances and dance performances, North Pier turned to a higher level of social classes, appealing to orchestral concerts and respectable comedians. Until 2011, this was the only Blackpool dock that required entrance fee.
North Pier has been designated by English Heritage as a 2nd grade monument, due to its status as the oldest standing pier still created by Eugenius Birch.
Today it is still in working order, despite the fact that it suffered damage as a result of fires, storms and collisions with boats.
Blackpool Pier (later North Pier) construction began in May, early in 1862, in Layton-cum-Warbreck, which is part of Bispham Parish. The dam, as it was initially built, consisted of a 428 m long promenade and 8.5 m wide, extending to 17 m wide.
The dam was officially opened during a large ceremony on May 21, 1863, even though the last 46 meters had not yet been completed. All shops in the area were closed for the ceremony, which included a procession and attended by about 20,000 visitors.
North Pier attractions include a woman reading in the palm, an ice cream dispenser, the North Pier Theater, a Victorian Tea Room, and the Carousel and Merrie England bars.
The Carousel Bar at the end of the pier has a Victorian wrought iron canopy. The outdoor salon is considered the largest in Blackpool. Near this bar is a two-tiered carousel, the Venetian Carousel, which is protected by sand and water through a glass wall.
Over time, the dam has had several owners, but in April 2011, it was taken over by Sedgwick. Peter Sedgwick explained that he had asked his wife to marry North Pire forty years ago, promising her he would buy it for her one day. The fee for access to the promenade area was eliminated by the Sedgewicks, who also expressed a desire to restore the Victorian heritage of the dam.